The “7″ Series on prayer began with “Seven Truths About Prayer”.
My message (June 22) covered Truths #1-4.
Watch the message at firsteuless.com
Truth #7: Prayer wages a Supernatural Battle.
Jesus said we were to pray this way, “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” Doesn’t that sound a bit like a war?
Whole volumes have been written on “supernatural battles,” so this is a brief summary of some principles to remember in war:
1. Remember that the enemy’s goal is to isolate you from God, His Truth and His will for your life. It is not essentially a power struggle, but it is more of a truth struggle. God guides you with His truth, the enemy attempts to draw you away. When you move away from truth, you’re on the enemy’s turf.
2. Remember that our opponent always strikes the “weak links” in the chain of our life. It might be your thought life, your discipline, your desires. It could be your marriage, your children or your business. It could be your habits, your past or your blind spots. Be on guard. Shore up your weak links and make sure you have a watchful eye.
3. Remember that the enemy can often make sin sound “right.” He convinced Eve. He’s been doing this for thousands of years. Don’t agree with him.
4. Remember that true prayer puts you in a conversation with the undefeated King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He won’t lose. And you won’t lose if you stick close to Him.
5. Remember He has given you power and authority to resist the enemy and his ways. “Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.” James 4:7 This simply means that we must put on the armor of God and stand firm in conflict, RESISTING the enemy’s tactics. It’s sweaty and difficult, sometimes bloody, but we can win this battle, says Jesus.
Jesus is the one who told us to ask the Father, “deliver us from evil.” We must believe Jesus’ words that our Father can deliver us from the evil one.
Keep praying, and keep following along with us online. #GetToThe7.
Thoughts from John Meador and insights from God's Word.