Unless You Forgive
The Lord’s Prayer should be known as the Disciples’ Prayer. Jesus gave it to us so we’d know how to pray!
Do you know what He emphasized more than anything else? FORGIVENESS. One line in the prayer itself in Matthew 6, but two entire sentences explaining this one element of that prayer. There’s a reason Jesus is so adamant about forgiveness. He is going to go to the cross and GIVE HIS LIFE to make it possible – so there’s no way He’s going to be happy if what we freely get from His death, we withhold from others.
It’s hard. I know. Releasing people who’ve not even repented, or said, “I’m sorry.” Forgiving people who don’t care one whit about you. Or people who do care, but not enough to treat you right. People who seem to make messes in your life – you’re to forgive.
There’s a lot to say about this, and I’ll say it soon, but here are some things that happen when we do NOT forgive others…found in random study.
1. Our fellowship with God is blocked.
2. We grieve the Holy Spirit
3. Our prayers are hindered.
4. We face life’s problems on our own.
5. Satan can gain a foothold of bitterness in your life.
6. You can lose the blessing of God.
7. You live wounded.
8. You are enslaved to those you are bitter against.
No one wants this stuff. Forgive!
Leave a Reply.
Thoughts from John Meador and insights from God's Word.